Health woes are on the rise during the wet season. The high humidity during the rainy weather spurs the spread of harmful germs and bacteria that make us more vulnerable to different kinds of water-borne and air-borne diseases like colds, cough, influenza, viral fever, diarrhea and sore throat. Especially kids. Moms and Dads, always be on guard to protect your child from all sorts of sickness during rainy days. But when – despite your best efforts to protect them from fever and flu – make sure they’re comfortable and well cared for. Here are some TLC tips for parents for their kids :
- Gear them up. Don’t send them off to school without a jacket, an umbrella or a raincoat. If your area is prone to flooding, buy them rain boots so they can wade in water without contracting water-borne infections such as leptospirosis.
- Bathe them as soon as possible if they get soaked in the rain. Taking a shower after getting soaked in the rain is good advice. Diseases develop when the body experiences a drastic change in temperature. A shower stabilizes the cold and makes the body adjust to normal temperature.
- Keep your kids’ hands away from their mouths. Children are fond of nibbling and chewing on their nails, with dirty hands! Cold and flu viruses enter through the mouth, the nose and eyes. So kids shouldn’t touch their faces when their hands are dirty.
- Teach them to wash hands frequently and thoroughly. Preventing the spread of a disease always starts with basic hygiene. Remind your kids to wash their hands as frequently as possible. Tell them that a quick rinse won’t do the trick! It takes at least 20 to 30 seconds to kill the germs, about as long as it takes to hum a Happy Birthday song. Always let them keep a hand sanitizer or alcogel in their bags too!
- If they get sick, feed them nutritious soups and give them fever medicine. Mom’s good old fashioned chicken soup still works wonders in this day and age. Maybe part of its power comes from the soup’s warmth and the TLC that goes with its preparation. Sick kids always respond well to Mom’s care and concern.
- Ease their fever with Nexcare™ Cooling Gel Patches for Kids and Adults and get rid of their aches and pains with Nexcare Hot and Cold Pack. Nexcare™ cooling gel strips provide a cooling effect and ideal for lowering fever because they help cool the skin fast. Easy to apply and remove, they’re safe and non-medicinal so they can be used with traditional medicines. For other aches and pains, Nexcare™ reuseable Hot and Cold Pack is the ideal remedy. This dual-purpose soft, gel-filled pack provides relief when cold and soothes muscle pains when hot. It includes a protective cover with elastic strap to secure the pack in place.
Nexcare™ products are available in all leading drugstores and malls nationwide.
For more information, visit www.nexcare.com. 30 Nexcare™ is a Trademark of 3M. 3M captures the spark of new ideas and transforms them into thousands of ingenious products. Our culture of creative collaboration inspires a never-ending stream of powerful technologies that make life better.
3M is the innovation company that never stops inventing. With $30 billion in sales, 3M employs 84,000 people worldwide and has operations in more than 65 countries. For more information, visit www.3M.com/ph or like 3M.Philippines on Facebook for updates.